08 October 2020

Pan Fried Salmon Steak


 

Ha. So am back after 7 years. What took me so long??

COVID-19!!! Well what else. One weirdo eating a BAT or some random piece of animal, made the world a whole different place. Airports shut, millions hospitalized and loved ones lost, curfews, jobs vanished. Name it all and its happening. It’s crazy. Hopefully we get an end to this drama soon and try and get back to our normal lives.

Ever since the lockdown started back in March. people started to do things: good, bad and in the worst case, ugly (have read that on the news). To be frank, I was pissed off when it all started as I missed my socialization bit and was messed in head. Took a day out in self-isolation from home at another friend’s house to get myself to start thinking normal and ponder on things. Didn’t go well with a lot in the family but hey ho. Ended well, I guess. Post that, I got to that point of boredom of doing the regular things, but thankfully one thing runs in the family genes - cooking and something I enjoy doing – and that’s another reason why am back to writing. How long and till when, time will tell. So cooking became a good distraction couple of days a week with a lot of other daily self-isolated activities I needed to keep doing myself to keep sane. I’m nowhere near being close to great when it comes in the kitchen, other than washing dishes, that also not always. But hey ho. Cook good food and as long as everyone enjoys it, I’ll say BINGO.

So back to the title post. I am a big Salmon lover and I’ve always read that it is good for health. Well, I’ll be honest (A) am not someone who eats like regular people which means I barely eat) (B) When I do, it doesn’t have to be healthy always (C) I seldom eat what’s been told is good for health (unless am tied and force fed which is impossible nowadays as I’ll call it torture unless am hospitalized or under police custody and I go on strike – both which will not happen, touchwood).
This is a very simple recipe and can be an easy midweek meal either after a long day at work or a day you can’t be arsed to be cooking big because you just don’t feel like it. Best part, this can be done with minimal ingredients, time and effort.

Ingredients:

I have not specified any measurements on the ingredients because everyone will have their own liking as to how much they want of each produce. So feel free and let your taste buds decide.

Salmons Steaks (obviously) : Try and source fresh salmons than the frozen ones
Ginger Garlic Paste (can also use crushed ginger and garlic but that’s another job to do)
Salt and Pepper
Spices of your choice
Butter
Chili Flakes (optional)
Lemon (or lime) to season at the end

Tip: Feel free to use any ingredients, seasonings or spice rubs as per your likes and what’s available in your cupboard. The butter can be substituted for olive oil as well. The whole process of cooking is to enjoy the experience and have a good satisfying meal.

Process:
  • Wash and clean the fish properly. I prefer to do it in hot water with salt to remove any excessive outside intruders (mom’s advice). Pat dry once done and keep aside.
  • Make your marinade. I used ginger garlic paste, paprika, cayenne pepper, salt, black pepper and chili flakes. You can guess that I do love it spicy considering I am from the land of spices.


  • Time to get your hands dirty and start gently rubbing the baby with the flavorful marinade with much loves to both the sides and keep aside for at least 30mins or longer, depending on your time constraints or how hungry you are. I kept this one for around 45mins so I could catch up with other things. 
  • Pre heat the pan on medium heat and add the butter. Once hot, drop the salmon and fry for 3mins (skin side down if with skin) and then for another 3mins on low heat. Flip it and do the same until cooked to your liking. I’ve usually cook it for 6-7mins and allow it to rest for 3—4mins as I get the table ready.
  • Sprinkle the steak with a bit of lime and serve hot with your choice of rice, bread or sides of choice. This can be easily paired with any side dish but I’d prefer it with a little portion of salad and mash potatoes.
Voila!! Hope you try it and enjoy it as much as I did. BON APPETITE!!

No comments:

Post a Comment